Last updated: June 6, 2018
Voyajoy is committed to being responsible and transparent when dealing your privacy and data. Here, our policy explains:
- What Personal Data we collect
- Why we collect Personal Data
- How we use Personal Data
- Who we share Personal Data with
- How to request access to and remove Personal Data
- Personal Data you provide to us
- Use of Personal Data
- Sharing of Personal Data
- Personal Data collected when using Voyajoy
- Personal Data from other sites
- Transfers of Personal Data
- EU Personal Data
- Your choices to your privacy
- Personal Data retention policy
- Security around Personal Data
- Rights to your Personal Data
- Further Questions
- If you have any queries about the policy, please get in touch with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to answer your questions.
Personal Data you provide to us
We will collect the following personal information from you:
- Certain information required to register with the Site including first and last name, your address and date of birth together with some basic security information.
- Details of any bookings you make through the Site (either through us or through third parties who use the Site as a booking platform).
- Your e-mail address and password.
- Billing information such as your credit card number and expiry date.
- Other information about you that you voluntarily supply to use by filling out your profile page.
- Although it is not compulsory to give us this information, if you do not then you cannot register as a member of the Site or make a booking for accommodation with our Hosts.
Use of Personal Data
We (or the Voyajoy club, or your booking services provider) will use this information in order to:
- administer your booking.
- collect payment of accommodation fees from you on behalf of our Hosts.
- collect payment for any services you obtain while staying in our Hosts’ accommodation.
- make general improvements to our Site and the services we offer.
- analyse how customers are making use of the Site.
- notify you of certain offers and new products (subject to your right to unsubscribe or opt-out).
Sharing of Personal Data
We (or the Voyajoy club, or your booking services provider) will share information for the following:
- Credit or debit card payments will be collected by our payment processor.
- In order for payments to be processed you may need to provide some necessary details to our agent. We tell you about this at the point we collect that information on the Site.
- We may transfer your personal information to a third party as part of a sale of some or all of our business and assets to any third party or as part of any business restructuring or reorganisation, but we will take steps with the aim of ensuring that your privacy rights continue to be protected.
- Other than as set out above, we will not disclose any of your personal information without your permission unless we are required by law to do so (for example, if required to do so by a court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime).
Personal Data collected when using Voyajoy
- Log files/IP addresses. When you visit the Site our web server automatically records your IP address. This IP address is not linked to any of your personal information. We may also gather other non-personal information (from which we cannot identify you) such as the type of your internet browser which we use to provide you with a more effective service.
When you visit the Site we may store some information (commonly known as a “cookie”) on your
computer. Cookies are pieces of information that a website
transfers to your hard drive to store and sometimes track information about you.
Cookies are specific to the server that created them and cannot be accessed by other servers,
which means that they cannot be used to track your movements around the web.
Passwords and credit card numbers are not stored in cookies. A cookie helps you get the best out
- Storing details about your site preferences (for instance which language you wish to view pages in).
- Storing details about any properties you have short-listed.
- Enabling our web server to track your session between pages of the site and provide a continuity of experience.
- When using our site, there are a number third parties who also need to store cookies for essential running of the site. These include but are not limited to, Amazon for the running of our load balancers, Google to enable Interactive Maps and help us with Analytics. If you have any concerns, please contact us.
Personal Data from other sites
- We cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other sites even if you access them using links from our Site and recommend that you check the policy of each site you visit and contact its owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions.
- In addition, if you linked to this Site from a third party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners or operators of that third party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third party site and contact its owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions.
Transfers of Personal Data
The Service is hosted and operated in the United States (“U.S.”), with development, support and maintenance operations in other countries (and hosting soon to come in the European Union (“EU”), through Voyajoy and its service providers. If you do not reside in the U.S., laws in the U.S. (and other countries) may differ from the laws where you reside. By using the Service, you acknowledge that any Personal Data about you, regardless of whether provided by you or obtained from a third party, is being provided to Voyajoy in the U.S. and will be hosted on U.S. servers, and you authorize Voyajoy to transfer, store, host and process your information to and in the U.S., and possibly other countries. You hereby consent to transfer of your data to the U.S. pursuant to the standard data protection clauses promulgated by the EC, a copy of which can be obtained at https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32010D0087.
EU Personal Data
If you are located in the EU, United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland, you may have additional rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) related to your Personal Data, as further described below. Voyajoy will be the controller of your Personal Data processed in connection with the Service.
Your choices to your privacy
Opting Out of Behavioral Advertising and Tracking Tools
- Service Provider Opt Out: You can opt-out directly from some Advertising Service Providers and providers of Tracking Tools by using their opt-out tools. Some of these service providers, and links to their opt-out tools, are:
- Industry Opt Out Tools: Some Advertising Service Providers or providers of Tracking Tools may participate in the Network Advertising Initiative's (NAI) Opt-Out Tool () and/or the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) Consumer Choice Page (), and you can opt-out of certain services and learn more about your choices by visiting the links included there. Users in the EU can visit for more information about your choices and to opt out of participating service providers.
Web Browser Controls:
You can prevent the use of certain Tracking Tools, such as cookies, on a
device-by-device basis using the controls in your web browser. These controls can be found in
the Tools > Internet Options (or similar) menu for your browser, or as otherwise directed by
your browser’s support feature. Through your web browser, you may be able to:
- Delete existing Tracking Tools
- Disable future Tracking Tools
- Set your browser to provide you with a warning each time a cookie or certain other Tracking Tools are being set
- Do Not Track: Your browser may offer you a “Do Not Track” option, which allows you to signal to operators of websites and web applications and services (including behavioral advertising services) that you do not wish such operators to track certain of your online activities over time and across different websites. The Service does not support Do Not Track requests at this time, which means that we collect information about your online activity both while you are using the Service and after you leave our Service.
- Emails: We will give you the ability to opt-out of marketing-related emails by going to our rights management page, or clicking on a link at the bottom of each such email. You cannot opt-out of receiving certain non-marketing emails regarding the Service.
Personal Data retention policy
We retain Personal Data about you for as long as you have an open account with us or as otherwise necessary to provide you with the Service, and thereafter as set forth in our Service agreement with you (typically 30 days after termination of the Service, or sooner upon request (except as required by law)). In some cases we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule, or regulation. Upon disposal, we will destroy or render unreadable any such Personal Data. Afterwards, we retain some information in a depersonalized or aggregated form but not in a way that would identify you personally.
Security around Personal Data
We believe the security of your information is a serious issue and we are committed to protecting the information we receive from you. We use commercially reasonable security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of your information under our control based on the type of Personal Data and applicable processing activity, such as data encryption in transit, data encryption at rest (for customers that elect to purchase our “private cloud” solution), pseudonymization, and enforcement of least privilege and need-to-know principles. To the extent the Service requires you to provide any Financial Account Information, such as when you purchase subscriptions to the Service, that information will be collected and processed by third-party PCI-compliant service providers. We do not store Financial Account Information transmitted through the Service, provided that we do store (or our payment processor on our behalf will store) just the last four digits of your credit card number, if you provide this to us, to comply with credit card processing requirements of authorizations, charges and chargebacks.
Rights to Personal Data
Access to your Personal Data
You have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data, and we want to help you review and update your information to ensure it is accurate and up-to-date. We may limit or reject your request in certain cases, such as if it is frivolous or extremely impractical, if it jeopardizes the rights of others, if it is not required by law, or if the burden or expense of providing access would be disproportionate to the risks to your privacy in the case in question. In some cases, we may also need you to provide us with additional information, which may include Personal Data, to verify your identity and the nature of your request. We will take reasonable steps to respond to all requests within 30 days.
Consent and restrictions to your Personal Data
Please email us at email@example.com for the following:
- Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent (as indicated at the time of collection of such data), you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Service.
- Objection: You can contact us to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your Personal Data for certain purposes, such as for marketing purposes.
- Restriction of Processing: You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data.